5.20.2011

10. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor

Now Roll of Thunder is a children’s novel and it was one I was required to read for my Children's Lit. course & I absolutely loved it.

It is such an amazing beautiful book. It is during the Great Depression in Mississippi and the novel follows the Logan’s, an African American family but it is narrated by their daughter Cassie who is 10 (I think). And she has never witnessed racism and therefore doesn't understand it. She comes across racism and you the reader get to experience everything she is experiencing and this is what made the book different. You saw everything through Cassie’s eyes so as she was learning you were learning how things were in 1933 in Mississippi for an African American family.

You fall in love with the family and it is enjoyable to watch the adventures that Cassie and siblings get into and although at times it is light-hearted and fun. Taylor explores the major theme of racism.

I highly recommend this novel and give it two checkmarks.

Till next time,

Goodbye  (:

No comments:

Post a Comment